The plethora of misinformation about celiac disease and gluten-free life continues to spread daily through news segments, articles, and videos. Here are some facts and tips to facilitate the sharing of accurate information!
1. Provide facts from dietitians, doctors, and organizations, such as NFCA, not celebrities. Do not refer to a gluten-free diet as a fad, trend, or weight loss diet!
2. It is essential to be tested for celiac disease, an autoimmune disease with dangerous complications, before starting a gluten-free diet! If negative, a patient may be gluten sensitive.
3. There are no typical symptoms of celiac disease. There are 300 symptoms and some people have none!
4. People with celiac disease must eat 100% gluten-free and need to be very cautious about cross-contamination.
5. There are many great and safe gluten-free products. Good gluten-free baked goods taste the same as gluten!